About this Seminar
Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (DBT) is an exciting new application of
digital mammography recently approved by the FDA. DBT is a
three-dimensional technology that provides thin cross sectional
images through the breast. This technology is designed to prevent
overlying structures from obscuring breast masses and intersecting
normal structures from being falsely identified as a cancer. There
is a growing demand for implementing Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
technology at current Women’s Centers as well as understanding how
this new technology will impact your current workflow. This seminar
will provide you with the tools you will need to understand the
fundamentals, benefits and the daily utilization of DBT within your
facility. A comprehensive look at the installation and
implementation timeline, regulatory guidelines, and additional
quality control test and personnel qualifications will also be
discussed. DBT is considered a new modality under MQSA which
requires all personnel to receive 8 hours of training before
participating in clinical services.
At the completion of this seminar,
participants will be able to:
- Understand the fundamentals of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis (DBT).
- Ascertain the benefits of Digital Breast Tomosynthsis over conventional mammography.
- Identify additional QC tests for DBT equipment.
- Identify personnel training requirements.
- Understand the installation and implementation timeline for DBT equipment.
- Comprehend Regulatory application processes unique to DBT equipment.
- Apply DBT concepts to daily operational needs from an administrative perspective.
Locations & Dates
Who Should Attend
- Mammography technologists
- Managers of Women’s Centers
- MQSA inspectors
- Vendor personnel
About the Instructor
Estella Turner, MHA, RT(R)(M)
Estella holds a Bachelor of Science in Health Services
Management and a Master of Health Administration, with a
concentration in Management in Leadership, from the University
of La Verne. Estella has been an active technologist since
1996 and is currently the Operations Manager for the privately
owned Women’s Imaging Center in Orange, CA. Estella has
served in various roles such as Staff Technologist,
Mammography Coordinator, Director of Specialty Services –
Cancer Program, Assistant Director of Diagnostic Imaging,
Mammography Operations Consultant, Adjunct Professor for
Radiologic Technology Program, and has written several ASRT
approved CEU courses in Mammography. Recently, Estella has
led the installation and implementation of Digital Breast
Tomosynthesis in her practice, making it only the third
organization in Southern California to offer this new
technology. Estella’s comprehensive knowledge of Mammography
and its operational challenges, combined with her engaging
speaking style, will make this seminar both enjoyable and
This seminar has been approved by the ASRT for 8 Category A continuing education credit. These credits will serve as the
8 hours of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis training required by MQSA. A certificate
of attendance will be provided for each individual upon completion of the seminar.
All attendees must attend the entire seminar to receive full credit.
Registration and Coffee
Introduction to Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
Theory of Tomosynthesis
- Tomography origins
- Rationale for the need of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis
- Primary issues with conventional 2D mammography
- Adjunct modalities attempting to solve mammography limitations
- Rationale against the use of other tools for screening
- Digital Breast Tomosynthesis meets the criteria
- Physics of why some pathologies are difficult to see
- Basic design of a Digital Breast Tomosynthesis system
- Reconstructed images
Informal Discussion and Break
System Design Parameters
- Parameter optimization, scan angles
- Detector efficiency and dose
- Storage space and PACS
- Acquisition time/clinical throughput
Personnel Training Requirements
- Tests for the technologist
- Tests for the physicist
Lunch - (on your own)
Tomosynthesis Unit Implementation Time Line(continued)
- Planning phase
- Actual timeline detailed for first unit install
- 3 regulatory applications and processes
- Application FAQ's and tips
Informal Discussion and Break
Tomosynthesis, A Manager's Dilemma
Tomosynthesis in the Future
- Exam time
- Network bandwidth, computer memory, storage
- Work up protocols
- Additional images and storage
- Tomosynthesis guided procedures
- 3D CAD and synthesized 2D images
- Contrast enhanced breast imaging
All prices for dates in the US are in US dollars.
All prices for dates in Canada are in Canadian dollars.
Qualifying 'Early' registrations must be made at least 14 days in advance for the program
| ♦ ||Amount||Early||Reg Door|
|2013|| || || |
Become an MTMI member today
and start to receive these benefits:
- Immediate Member Discount on all MTMI seminars, cross-training courses, on-line videos and books.
- Special discounts for Members Only are offered quarterly.
- Advance notice of all MTMI programs of interest.
- Access to your MTMI profile on-line.
- Monthly e-newsletter including useful information and special offers.
Check the "Yes, I want to become a MTMI member"
box on the registration form
on this page and you will immediately start to save. The MTMI
member price will be yours today.
Technologist member enrollment fee is $39
(reduced from $45).
Physician member enrollment fee is $79.
Physicist member enrollment fee is $65.
Refunds, minus a $30 processing fee, will be granted for cancellations
received at least 3 days prior to the seminar. Cancellations received
within 3 days of the seminar will receive a credit toward a future
MTMI seminar, minus the $30 processing fee. No refunds will be
made after the seminar.
Group discount for a group from one facility registering at the same time: 3-5
attendees 5%; 6 or more attendees 10%.
Group discounts for MTMI
can be as high as 25%, please contact MTMI for details
(discount is not applicable if the tuition is paid by purchase order). For
student rates, contact MTMI. Members of MTMI receive a discount. Only one
discount may be applied.
*Events in Canadian cities show amounts in Canadian dollars.
MTMI reserves the right to cancel any scheduled seminar due to low
advance registration or other reasons. MTMI’s liability is limited to a refund
of any program tuition paid. MTMI recommends that attendees use refundable
airline tickets for travel to seminars. In case of cancellation of a seminar for
any reason, MTMI is not responsible for travel costs incurred by attendees
including non-refundable airline tickets.
How to Register
By phone call: 1-800-765-6864
By Mail, Fax or Online:
Complete the form on this page then click the Register button.